One of the largest housing providers in the UK, Optivo is also a member of the G15 group of London’s biggest housing associations. Currently, we’ve over 45,000 homes across London, the South East and the Midlands, giving 90,000 people somewhere affordable to call their own. And, we’re still growing. Indeed, with a target of 1.500 homes in development every year, there’s never been a better time to join us.
Job title: Grounds Maintenance Operative
Business Area: Direct Services, Midlands
Location: Kings Heath, Birmingham
Hours: 40 hours a week, Full time
Contract type: Permanent
Closing date for applications: Sunday 5th of July 2020, 23:00pm
Interview dates:14th 15th & 16th of July 2020
We are looking for a Grounds Maintenance Operative to join our small team in the West Midlands. Your primary role will be to carry a full Grounds Maintenance Service to our Retirment and General Needs schemes across the West Midlands. With an understaning of horticultural environment you will also possess good communication skills as you will be interacting with our residents and managers on a daily basis. Experience of working as part of a team but also to be able to work on your own intiative. Part of the role will include towing trailers to and from our properties and therefore this is an essential part of our criteria.
Knowledge & Experience
- Capable of climbing ladders or scaffolding as part of day to day duties
- Good numeracy and literacy
- Experience of working in a customer focused service
- Experience in use of mechanical equipment i.e. lawn mowers, hedge cutters, strimmers.
- Experience of maintaining grassed areas, bushes, hedges and plants
Skills & Abilities
- Sufficiently numerate to be able to manage stock control, checking invoices and purchase of supplies or equipment.
- Sufficiently literate to be able to complete any records relating to Health & Safety and other activities relevant to the post
- Able to plan and prioritise to ensure the effective use of own time.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate well with tenants, external agencies and tenants’ organisations, both verbally and in writing
- Able to plan and prioritise to ensure the effective use of own time and that of other staff, and the delivery of work plans to timetable, often under pressure
- Full current driving licence/Car driver to include B – E category (enable to drive with towing trailer)
What’s in it for you?
You’ll enjoy a great salary and benefits package, including 27 days (rising to 30 days) plus bank holidays, and a day off for your birthday. You can also buy and sell leave up to 5 days. We have generous pension and life assurance schemes too, plus a cycle to work scheme and travel loans. Add in a healthcare cash plan covering dental, glasses, physiotherapy, vaccinations, 24 hour GP and more, plus various high street discounts, (not to mention flexible working and in house career development opportunities). If you are passionate about what you do and share our ambitions, we look forward to hearing from you.
At Optivo we work hard to create a diverse and inclusive culture and environment where people are respected for who they are. Encouraging inclusion is not just about protected characteristics, it’s about celebrating differences of thought, opinion, experience and perspective of each individual. We’re all different in our own way and we want our colleagues to feel comfortable, that they belong, and are safe to be themselves at work, without fear of being judged or excluded, but valued for their contribution to our One Team approach.